KEVIN AND JANE'S KITCHEN
Make the most of plentiful summer fruits with these delicious suggestions.
Dotti’s Plums in Red Wine
500 g ripe red plums
275 ml shiraz or other intensely fruity red wine
2 star anise
4 whole cloves
95 g soft brown sugar
• Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
• Run a knife around each plum, twist to pull each half apart and remove stones.
• Arrange plum halves in a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish.
• Tuck the star anise and cloves among the plums, then sprinkle with sugar and pour wine on top.
• Bake on middle shelf for around 50 minutes – until plums have turned jewel-red and the wine is thick and syrupy. (Spoon the juices over the plums a couple of times during baking).
• Remove the spices and serve with a good vanilla ice-cream.
Jan’s Mango Avocado Salad
• Slice 2 mangoes and 1 avocado, squeeze lemon juice over them.
• Combine with macadamia nuts chopped in half.
• Sprinkle with shredded coconut. (Can also top with feta cheese if you like).
Margaret’s Fruit Kebabs and Yummy Dipping Sauce
• Thread bite-sized pieces of your favourite fruit onto a skewer.
• Mix 1 cup sour cream with 1 cup thickened cream.
• Stir in 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint.
Bruce’s Drunken Mango
• Use 1 mango cheek per person.
• Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
• Serve with a scoop of good quality vanilla ice-cream. Top with a sprig of mint.
CLICK HERE to print these recipes