- What happened to the humble TV?
- In defence of MYKI
- The Tail of a Little Dog
- I love trains...
- Did you have a funny old Christmas?
- More of Ric's Blogs!
- Ric's Blog: More choice, more $$$?
- Ric's Blog: Besieged by communication
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Peter Taylor on What happened to the humble TV? Ric, Just as the era of compact discs promised "never bnefore heard sound quality", so too does - purportedly - HDTV. But I ... more
- Mark on What happened to the humble TV? The Love Boat is actually on Eleven in SD. So I don't know what you're complaining about. more
- John on In defence of MYKI MYKI won me over and so I've registered via the Internet. more
- John on The Tail of a Little Dog Animal stories (blogs) n comments I like thank you ric, like selection of music too more
- Brian Grieef on What happened to the humble TV? G'day Ric,in our case we have three analogue TVs, lounge,kitchen/dining and bedroom, but the most important one is the ... more
- Rod Harvey on What happened to the humble TV? Oh, so true!And what do I often resort to? Turning off the telly and switching on the radio so I don't have to be distracted ... more
- Vince, Ruby & Brenda on The Tail of a Little Dog Well Ric, at last we see Taco, she is beautiful. Obviously she has taken your heart, but who am I to talk, what has Ruby ... more
- Vince on In defence of MYKI Hi Rick, (Ditch), if it's MYKI, how come you are using it, Ruby and I would like it back. Anyway, Ditch, it's a seniors ... more
- June Arnott on In defence of MYKI Myki is fine until you come up against the cumbersome rules & regs that go with it.My auto top up failed because my old ... more
- allan on In defence of MYKI There's supposed to be an on-line compensation form for MYKI march entitlement, and I can't find it? all I can find is a ... more
- Les on In defence of MYKI Ric,I understand the Metcard system, it is easy to use and it has been reliable. Why change something simply because the ... more
- Helen on In defence of MYKI Dear Ric, I find that you've got interesting comments all round. There are pros and cons with everthing that you do. There ... more
- Terry Norton on In defence of MYKI I see 3 major problems with MYKI.The first is, why should you have to pay good money to buy a card, simply to then be ... more
- cheryl Garofalo on In defence of MYKI I don't use public transport all that much but I find myki easy to use. I used to use the smart system in Perth, so found ... more
- Elaine on In defence of MYKI Hi Ric, Your comment on MYKI is an interesting one. What we don't get told is that in the case of my son he doesn't have a ... more
- Norma Beattie on The Tail of a Little Dog Rick love your story, we have two jack russels, yes and the first one we rescued sleeps on our bed, her spot only, but we ... more
- John Zissis on The Tail of a Little Dog I like outdoor cats. Dogs ok but can't see the attraction either? more
- Marje on The Tail of a Little Dog My best mate, a Rottie/Great Dane/Mastiff cross weighing in at 67kg was put to sleep last year and I miss him so! Yes, he ... more
- lillian stephenson on The Tail of a Little Dog How lucky we are to have these pets in our lives,my little man sleeps on the bed also he is the last friend I say goodnight ... more
- Gary Mitchell on Blog: Ric's take on insurance We had a claim on our Contents Insurance worth close to $200,00 which the insurance company paid up but when Our policy came ... more
In defence of MYKI
As you know… I catch the train every day and as you will also know a couple of years ago we were introduced to the new ticketing system.
I think I must have been one of the first to jump on board! One: because I like new stuff and two: because us taxpayers have shelled out one point four billion dollars to get the thing going so I figured it must be sensational!
Let’s not dwell on the dosh cos it’s too late now it’s like the time when I was a kid and lost a ten pound note on the way to the shops, it’s gone… we can’t get it back!!
So, we might as well embrace and get used to the new system. All the time I see people still using the old Met Card and complaining about poor old MYKI.
Well let me tell you this: I have been using MYKI every day for the last TWO years. I have never, ever had a single issue with MYKI.
MYKI has many, many great features!
One of them is that you can register your MYKI via the internet and you can keep track of every trip, every payment, every deduction and every transaction you ever make on your MYKI. So if ever you have an issue with your card, they can track it back electronically.
Another great feature of MYKI is that it is simple to use. A lot of people mistake it for a “swipe” card but you don’t swipe it, you “touch” it on and off. It’s easy to load - once you get the hang of it and the machines take notes coins and cards.
And if you have a Senior MYKI the benefits are fantastic! A zone one and two all day trip will cost you less than a cup of coffee!
Unfortunately poor old MYKI has become a political football but I reckon it’s time we put all the bad news behind us and just get on with it.
Get yourself a MYKI, put some cash on it and you won’t get caught out fumbling to buy a ticket as the train comes into the station.
Let me know how you are getting on.
Whether you're driving home, picking up the kids, or being busy around the house, Ric is always great company with his friendly, upbeat personality. Good music too, with news, weather and regular traffic reports.
MYKI won me over and so I've registered via the Internet.John Wednesday 17 October, 2012 - 3:22 AM
Hi Rick, (Ditch), if it's MYKI, how come you are using it, Ruby and I would like it back. Anyway, Ditch, it's a seniors MYKI (Joke). Vince.
How;s Taco...Vince Monday 11 June, 2012 - 9:49 PM
Myki is fine until you come up against the cumbersome rules & regs that go with it.My auto top up failed because my old credit card had expired.Most companies would just email asking for new card expiry date.Not as simple for Myki.Card was suspended even though there was still a balance of$8. to be sent back to the city for Unblocking.No it can't be done anywhere else.WTF.Reluctantly have posted card back which means paying for travel while it is away.Tried to get on to my MYKI acc.which states that I should settle the $40 DEBT I owe them.That 40 has already been charged to my credit card.Actually they owe me $40 in prepaid fares.When my card arrives back I will again try to cancel auto top-up to prevent this happening again.As a senior I travel free on the weekend but I must touch on & off.Hard to do without a ticket or should I buy a daily just to placate the ticket nazis.June Arnott Thursday 3 May, 2012 - 2:01 PM
There's supposed to be an on-line compensation form for MYKI march entitlement, and I can't find it? all I can find is a PDF. The search box doesn't help when you put in " compensation"allan Tuesday 17 April, 2012 - 10:41 PM
I understand the Metcard system, it is easy to use and it has been reliable. Why change something simply because the alternative is new? NO. The reason behind Myki could be because the authorties have many more capabilities open to them, including having data on the travel movements of individuals. Do you think that this big brother capability is a good thing?
LesLes Thursday 12 April, 2012 - 10:32 PM
Dear Ric, I find that you've got interesting comments all round. There are pros and cons with everthing that you do. There are also the people that don't like changes; and there are the people that have to accept change because it's their job. I am a bus driver in the South Eastern Suburbs and you will get use to MYKI, just like we'll one day we will accept a female prime minister. Talk to the MYKI people they know it all.Helen Thursday 12 April, 2012 - 3:06 PM