- History Hit
- Bobby Skilton's Tips - Round 17
- Wacky Facts
- Quick Quiz
- Memorable Moment
- History Hit
- Quick Quiz
- Wacky Facts
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- John Chandler on Memorable Moment Kristofferson version is a million times better. You feel like you are walking in his steps. No offence Johnny. more
- Eddie Hcakett on You Raise Me Up what a brilliant song sung by a great singer more
- Lynette on Homemade Treats for Cats and Dogs How about a treat for cats?Our pussy is so fussy he won't eat anything one day and the next day he loves it. And vice versa more
- Steve on Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl could have gone to see him at Festival Hall . Thought the tickets cost too much $6 ... Big mistake more
- Greg Harding on Roy Orbison's Mystery Girl I saw Roy Orbison when he came to Australia way back in 1973-ish. He played in Darwin, and I was one of the many Police who ... more
- Merrilyn Millen on Guess the Magic Secret Sound! Hi-Is there clues for the recent secret sound or is there somewhere to look up on the internet of who has tried guessing it ... more
- Carol on You Raise Me Up Beautiful Song sung by a Beautiful Man , Lovely in every way , xxx more
- lnes on You Raise Me Up Daniel O,Donnells version of You Raise Me Up,is so moving and true to life, that it gives me goose bumps all over, more
- Stan Miller on You Raise Me Up Quite a pleasant rendition, but I prefer Aled Jones' Version more
- Kate on You Raise Me Up A lovely rendition of a beautiful song ~ perfect choice for Mother's Day. more
- Doreen Weinman on You Raise Me Up You Raise Me Up fantastic choice of song for Mother's Day. Always listen to Magic 1278. My mother passed away 5/1/09 and ... more
- Alan Day on Quick Quiz - May 7 The Victoria Police uniform is salute blue not black. Been on nightshift so I didn't here if anyone notified you.Keep up the ... more
- Steve Campbell on Wacky Facts - May 7 Spoke on air with Kevin about this, and to be fair to Kevin, now I have seen the photo, of course the answer is twice a day ... more
- val skeen on You Raise Me Up Great to have our favourite Irish singer on Magic u tube. went to his recent concert in Melbourne and was lucky enough to ... more
- Monica Smith on You Raise Me Up 1278 is the very best radio station. it is on every day in our household, we don't even consider putting any other station ... more
- Anne Banks on You Raise Me Up I absolutely love this song.However I have to admit I really prefer the' Westlife' version although Daniel O'Donnell has a ... more
- Carmel Mullen on You Raise Me Up Thank you so much for this beautiful song. It was great to hear it again. more
- Graham Price on You Raise Me Up Very pleasant, but prefer Martin Hurkens, the new "star" from the Netherlands. A far more potent and emotive voice. ... more
- Frances Dingle on Downtown Abbey is back! Oh what a splendid time we had .Thank you magic for looking after us so well. more
- David on Downtown Abbey is back! I m so glad everyone who won tickets to Downton Abbey, at the Rivoli Cinema, had a terrific time.What a prize to win, and ... more
Ward, Thanks for the Memories
After 16 years at Magic 1278 and more than 40 continuous years in prime time on Melbourne Radio (which may be a record), Ward Everaardt called it a day on Friday 5 August.
"If you’ve listened to Magic you know me - happy to cruise through the day - talking about little things that happen in my life and just completely stunned and beautifully surprised at the number of email and cards that have arrived every day wishing me well.
How fantastic to know I have touched the lives of so many on air…
Thank you so much for your support over the years."
Warm Regards, Ward
As requested: Ward and Gary's farewell on-air chat
Ward like you've never seen him before!
Video Written/Directed/Produced by Bronja Everaardt. Bronjaeveraardt@hotmail.com
Please send Ward your warm wishes for his retirement below.
MORE ON WARD:
Ward first became excited about radio while working in the same building as 3AW whilst working for Muzak - background music systems (what you hear in lifts and foyers etc). Eager to break into the industry, Ward took the advice of an announcer and joined Clark Sinclair's Radio School.
After getting his foot in the door, Ward began making his mark on radio. His "cultured" voice was just right for 3AK's 'Beautiful Music' format. The format and Ward were made for each other and the 3AK association lasted 10 years with Ward in either the Afternoon or Drive time slot (and usually rating number one).
Ward was soon snapped up by Magic 1278 and has enjoyed the morning shift for a number of years now and it is here that he feels really right at home!
What was your first job?
My first job was reading late night news at BCV 8 Television in Bendigo but I wasn't quite up to scratch and I got my marching orders after three months. However, my demo tape sounded good to 3BO Radio and they put me on air and again I was on my way.
What is your favourite on air moment thus far?
All of them! I've had a wonderful run and at three major radio stations in Melbourne and 1278 The new Magic comes out tops. I appreciate the music I play now more than ever.
What is your most embarrassing on air moment?
At my first job in Melbourne radio at mid-dawn on 3XY, I fell asleep only to be awakened by police banging on the front door and asking "is everything OK?" (I never did it again).
If you could interview anyone (living or dead) who would it be?
Carl Sagan (Astrophysicist) who explained the Universe, and painted vast "mind pictures" in such an understandable and mind-boggling manner. I treasure his Cosmos Series TV Shows.
good luck ward on your retirement were gonna miss your voice on magic , only just found out you ve left have a great life as you gave us all thoes years on radio thankskevin &marg millier Friday 9 December, 2011 - 1:40 PM
Good bye & good luck for the future From Listeners Henry & Mandy Jupp.Henry Jupp & Mandy Jupp Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 8:46 AM
I AM DUMB FOUNDED. WE HAVE BEEN CARAVANING FOR 3 MONTHS.WHEN I SWITCHED ON MAGIC ON OUR RETURN,I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON HOLIDAYS. I HAVE JUST HEARD YOU HAVE RETIRED. ALL YOU WILL BE MISSED,WE WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. RETIREMENT IS A WONDERFUL TIME OF LIFE.sandra clayton Monday 12 September, 2011 - 4:04 PM
Being from WA I've never had the pleasure of hearing Ward, but heard a lot about him. As an avid radio fan I'm aware that 3AK had a brief flirtation from Beautiful Music to a more younger siound - and I wondder if this is Ward playing the "Rocking Father" ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8u8SoPeZ84&feature=relatedFrank Calabrese Saturday 10 September, 2011 - 7:46 AM
Too many compliments too liltte space, thanks!Chelsi Sunday 28 August, 2011 - 5:40 PM
Wait, I cnaont fathom it being so straightforward.Chaas Sunday 28 August, 2011 - 10:00 AM