- Bobby Skilton’s tips – Round 3
- Quiz - April 4 | Magic 1278
- Wacky Facts - April 4
- History Hit - March 24
- Wacky Facts - March 24
- Quick Quiz - March 24
- History Hit - March 20
- Wacky Facts - March 17
- RSS Syndicate this blog (XML)
What we're talking about
- Frances Dingle on Downtown Abbey is back! Oh what a splendid time we had .Thank you magic for looking after us so well. more
- David on Downtown Abbey is back! I m so glad everyone who won tickets to Downton Abbey, at the Rivoli Cinema, had a terrific time.What a prize to win, and ... more
- Vivienne O'Callaghan on Downtown Abbey is back! Thank You, Thank You, what a night.You made a lot of people very happy last night with the viewing of Downton Abbey.My ... more
- Sandra Foenander on Downtown Abbey is back! Thanks Magic for a magical viewing of Downton Abbey last night (13th Feb). I felt so lucky to have won tickets to the ... more
- val skeen on Downtown Abbey is back! Congrats to all who won tickets for screening of news series of Downton Abbey, what a fantastic show, looking forward to ... more
- JENNI CULLEN on Downtown Abbey is back! Just won 2 tickets to Downton Abbey Season 4 screening.Must dust off the tiara! more
- jeanne on Downtown Abbey is back! Downton Abbey my favourite show superb acting/ brilliant actors cant wait for season4 more
- glenyse boland on Downtown Abbey is back! Fantastic drama,Maggie Smith is brilliant. more
- Shirley Sole on Downtown Abbey is back! Thank-you this was really interesting to watch. I just L-O-V-E the program and can't wait for the next episode. more
- Ozzie on Bears Over There Where can I buy these bears because the given link (bearsoverthere.com.au) no longer is available and I would really like to ... more
- Maria Simmons on Reigning Cats and Dogs winner I was absolutely chuffed when I got the call from Jane Holmes to say that my little girl Trudy was this weeks Reigning Cats ... more
- Daisy Hawkins on Reigning Cats and Dogs winner Well done Laddy & Aunty Di from all your Facebook furriends in the UK, we finks you is very handsome kitty and send lots of ... more
- Vancat Onlion on Reigning Cats and Dogs winner Congratulations Aladdin and Mum. If this is a beauty contest then, it makes purrfect sense that you won.Lubv alwaysVan. more
- Diane Lo Nigro on Reigning Cats and Dogs winner Thank you so very much for posting my Aladdin as Reigning Cats and Dogs winner for the week. I am so delighted to have him ... more
- Melbourne Tall Ships 2013 on The Tall Ships are here! Here's a great tall ship directory of many Class A vessels that participated in the 2013 Race - like Christian Radich, ... more
- Wendy Ferguson on Guess the Magic Secret Sound! I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas & a Happy & Safe New Year I love your show I turn on the computer when i ... more
- Barbara Hawker on Guess the Magic Secret Sound! Absolutely love 1278, listen every day, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to Kevin and Jane, Peter, Rick Ditchburn, and all ... more
- Dianne Coyle on Heeeeere's Don! l miss Don Lane. He and Bert made great tv together.There just aren't the great teams on Aussie tv like these guys ... more
- lesley Serong on Kevin and Jane Meet Andre Rieu Meet uyou both on train trip to Bendigo2 odd years ago saw the Grace Kelly collection more
- Robyn Thompson on Kenny and Dolly together again What great news of the two best ever country singers back together after 30 years with Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers with a ... more
Ward, Thanks for the Memories
After 16 years at Magic 1278 and more than 40 continuous years in prime time on Melbourne Radio (which may be a record), Ward Everaardt called it a day on Friday 5 August.
"If you’ve listened to Magic you know me - happy to cruise through the day - talking about little things that happen in my life and just completely stunned and beautifully surprised at the number of email and cards that have arrived every day wishing me well.
How fantastic to know I have touched the lives of so many on air…
Thank you so much for your support over the years."
Warm Regards, Ward
As requested: Ward and Gary's farewell on-air chat
Ward like you've never seen him before!
Video Written/Directed/Produced by Bronja Everaardt. Bronjaeveraardt@hotmail.com
Please send Ward your warm wishes for his retirement below.
MORE ON WARD:
Ward first became excited about radio while working in the same building as 3AW whilst working for Muzak - background music systems (what you hear in lifts and foyers etc). Eager to break into the industry, Ward took the advice of an announcer and joined Clark Sinclair's Radio School.
After getting his foot in the door, Ward began making his mark on radio. His "cultured" voice was just right for 3AK's 'Beautiful Music' format. The format and Ward were made for each other and the 3AK association lasted 10 years with Ward in either the Afternoon or Drive time slot (and usually rating number one).
Ward was soon snapped up by Magic 1278 and has enjoyed the morning shift for a number of years now and it is here that he feels really right at home!
What was your first job?
My first job was reading late night news at BCV 8 Television in Bendigo but I wasn't quite up to scratch and I got my marching orders after three months. However, my demo tape sounded good to 3BO Radio and they put me on air and again I was on my way.
What is your favourite on air moment thus far?
All of them! I've had a wonderful run and at three major radio stations in Melbourne and 1278 The new Magic comes out tops. I appreciate the music I play now more than ever.
What is your most embarrassing on air moment?
At my first job in Melbourne radio at mid-dawn on 3XY, I fell asleep only to be awakened by police banging on the front door and asking "is everything OK?" (I never did it again).
If you could interview anyone (living or dead) who would it be?
Carl Sagan (Astrophysicist) who explained the Universe, and painted vast "mind pictures" in such an understandable and mind-boggling manner. I treasure his Cosmos Series TV Shows.
good luck ward on your retirement were gonna miss your voice on magic , only just found out you ve left have a great life as you gave us all thoes years on radio thankskevin &marg millier Friday 9 December, 2011 - 1:40 PM
Good bye & good luck for the future From Listeners Henry & Mandy Jupp.Henry Jupp & Mandy Jupp Thursday 20 October, 2011 - 8:46 AM
I AM DUMB FOUNDED. WE HAVE BEEN CARAVANING FOR 3 MONTHS.WHEN I SWITCHED ON MAGIC ON OUR RETURN,I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON HOLIDAYS. I HAVE JUST HEARD YOU HAVE RETIRED. ALL YOU WILL BE MISSED,WE WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. RETIREMENT IS A WONDERFUL TIME OF LIFE.sandra clayton Monday 12 September, 2011 - 4:04 PM
Being from WA I've never had the pleasure of hearing Ward, but heard a lot about him. As an avid radio fan I'm aware that 3AK had a brief flirtation from Beautiful Music to a more younger siound - and I wondder if this is Ward playing the "Rocking Father" ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8u8SoPeZ84&feature=relatedFrank Calabrese Saturday 10 September, 2011 - 7:46 AM
Too many compliments too liltte space, thanks!Chelsi Sunday 28 August, 2011 - 5:40 PM
Wait, I cnaont fathom it being so straightforward.Chaas Sunday 28 August, 2011 - 10:00 AM